In this article, we will be taking an in-depth look at some of the best wireless backup cameras on the web.
In the process, we hope that we can give you some knowledge about these products, and thus help you to be a more intelligent buyer.
We probably don’t need to waste your time explaining what a backup camera is, or how it works. Instead, we will just say that these devices have now become so affordable that virtually anyone can get a backup camera.
Top 7 Wireless Backup Cameras For Cars And Trucks
1. iStrong FHD 1080P
2. BOSCAM K7
3. iStrong 8542135321
5. AUTO-VOX Solar 1
6. BOSCAM K2
7. ZEROXCLUB Black-SW02
- Top 7 Wireless Backup Cameras For Cars And Trucks
- 1. iStrong FHD 1080P – Best Choice Digital Wireless Backup Camera
- 2. Boscam K7 – Premium Pick
- 3. iStrong 8542135321 – Best Budget Option
- 4. DohonesBest Wireless – License Plate Backup Camera
- 5. Auto-Vox Solar 1 – Best Solar Backup Camera
- 6. Boscam K2 – Best Wireless Rearview Mirror Backup Camera
- 7. ZEROXCLUB Black-SW02 – Kit With 2 Cameras
- How To Choose Wireless Backup Camera – Buyer’s Guide
1. iStrong FHD 1080P – Best Choice Digital Wireless Backup Camera
You can use several different power setups, depending on what works best for your equipment. You can also switch between several different views and upgrade the antenna if necessary.
On the downside, this is one of the more expensive items on our list. Also, a few buyers said that the range of the antenna was not as long as advertised. It might be that the company used an underpowered antenna so that people would need to buy the upgrade, but overall, it’s an excellent backup camera.
It has a built-in transmitter, which takes a lot of the complexity out of the process. All you really have to do is mount the screen and the camera, and you’re good to go. Picture quality is exceptionally good.
On the downside, this thing might not have very good night vision. The advertising says that it can work in conditions as low as 0.1 Lux, and they also say that 0.1 Lux is equivalent to a full-moon night. This means that a moonless night could be problematic if you buy this model.
3. iStrong 8542135321 – Best Budget Option
With an 80ft range, this thing should be good enough for any size vehicle.
We only see two problems with this model, and both of them are minor.
First, the screen is only five inches, which is a little bit small. Thus, this model might need to be mounted on the windshield to provide a good enough view.
At the same time, video quality is only 720p. 720p isn’t bad, but it isn’t that great either.
4. DohonesBest Wireless – License Plate Backup Camera
The whole thing is convenient and subtle, as most people will never even notice the camera. It also has a high waterproof rating and provides exceptionally good night vision. The lines are much sharper, and the shading is more defined.
This one is a little bit harder to install. It won’t be hard for those with a little bit of knowledge about automotive wiring. However, those without such knowledge could have a problem.
5. Auto-Vox Solar 1 – Best Solar Backup Camera
The Auto-Vox has two batteries of its own, and they can hold a charge for up to 3 months without direct sunlight.
In terms of installation, they also got it right. This thing is insanely easy to install.
The transmission range is a little short, but sufficient for most vehicles.
The only potential problem comes from the lithium batteries that hold the charge. Large lithium batteries can be dangerous and have burned down many houses, so don’t underestimate the risk.
6. Boscam K2 – Best Wireless Rearview Mirror Backup Camera
The viewscreen consists of a mirrored surface that fits over your rearview mirror. When not in use, it works like any other backup mirror. As soon as you throw the car in reverse, however, a small viewscreen appears on the driver’s side of the mirror. Throw the car in drive, and it’s gone again.
This is very convenient, and also great for older drivers who are accustomed to using their rearview mirror when driving in reverse.
The biggest flaw of this model is the small viewscreen, which may not provide enough detail for some situations. Installation is a little bit complex, but not excessively so.
7. ZEROXCLUB Black-SW02 – Kit With 2 Cameras
First of all, the package includes 2 cameras. The monitor is nice and wide and has a convenient visor to keep the sun’s glare from interfering with your driving. The 1080p picture quality is also very nice for seeing those small details.
The monitor and receiver are a little bit bulky because of the short, bulbous antennae. However, these antennae do their job very well, providing a stable transmission that never flickers. In the end, the only real downside with this model is the price.
How To Choose Wireless Backup Camera – Buyer’s Guide
Here is a quick list of the qualities that you need to check when buying a product of this type:
- Screen resolution should be at least 720p (1080p is better). This allows you to see small details in your environment.
- Camera housing should be thick, sturdy, and waterproof. Remember that it has to take a lot of abuse.
- Should provide true IR night vision, as opposed to “low-light” vision.
- Should not require professional installation. Otherwise, you’ve defeated the point of buying a wireless model.
- Screen should be 6-8 inches wide. 5 Inches is acceptable, but 6-8 is preferred.
- Transmission distance should be about twice the distance between the driver and the camera. This ensures a stable transmission at all times.
- Any batteries should be small and well-insulated to minimize any risk of fire/explosion. This risk is small, but should not be overlooked.
- Camera should be attached firmly in place, especially if you plan to travel on rough roads. Once again, it has to take a lot of abuse, so you’d better make sure it can handle the hazards of the road.
- If there is any need to run wires, make sure that your vehicle is compatible with your backup camera unit.
- Give some thought to the angle of the camera. Make sure that you can mount the unit on your vehicle in such a way that it displays the right area.
Although these products might seem alike at first glance, there are many subtle differences that can make the difference between an effective backup camera and an ineffective one. We hope that we have given you the knowledge to tell them apart and that you are able to make an informed decision that suits your needs.